Tuesday, August 01, 2006

One gear on its way



I've been making slow progress on setting up an old bike to make it road worthy. I've saved as much work as possible for myself, but I let a bike shop take care of re-dishing the rear wheel and installing the new cog on the wheel.

I nearly made it a fixed gear, but ended up going for a freewheeling single speed. Actually I think the guy at the bike shop directed me to it by receiving the freewheel in stock before the fixed cog, even though he didn't admit it. I think it was a sort of professional responsibility. He kept slipping in comments about fixies being dangerous in the city. I considered that a lot of people who don't ride bikes would probably tell you bikes are too dangerous to use in the city. However, I couldn't argue, especially since he had ridden fixed gear, and I wasn't sold on making it a fixie anyways. I get enough exercise.

Now I a have a casual one-speed city-bike. I put a chain on last night and haven't had a chance to take it for a spin. It looks stripped down and raw. I'm pretty excited about taking it out for a ride.

I'm going to take a few minutes to true the wheels again, then I'll be rolling around the neighbourhood on a sweet new ride.

Darren J 8/01/2006 12:36:00 a.m.

7 Comments:

YAY good for you :-D , and it is best to start with a singlespeed and ride that for awhile then try Fixed later ,, I am switching back from Fixed to SingleSpeed so I can Zipppp down the hills, the Mech whom told you that Fixies are dangerouse in the City don't listen to him... now how about a Single Speed ride to Ajax with me on the water front trail???????
I'm surprised Steeker didn't suggest going to Ottawa again. ;)
he just started single speed,, we'll do the ottawa in the Fall :D...........P.S.you gonna try it Joe?
Well, the mechanic seemed like a good guy and pretty well informed. At some point though I'd like to know what it's all about.

I could be into a ride out to Ajax. We just have to find a good time to do it since that's a pretty long ride.
hahaha... I'll think about it... maybe.
I rode fixed for a while, and the major hazard for me was that I almost took a finger off when I was working on the bike on the workstand. I guess I'm used to working on bikes that coast. It's worth trying and it is a great workout.
Thanks for the warning. I've also seen the gruesome pictures on Sheldon Brown's site.

I'm sure I'll give it a try at some point. It sounds like I'd need to do it for a few weeks before I got used to it and could really enjoy it.

Add a comment