Friday, June 23, 2006

My mom on her bike commute

My mom rode her bike to work this week. This is one more item to add to the long list of reasons I'm very proud of her.

She works about 7 km from home, a perfect biking distance. My parents live in Aurora, a suburban town north of Toronto. It's one of the few areas that still has a nice town centre, but her commute took her well beyond that older part of town.

She planned to be riding on the sidewalks on the busy streets, so I told her to make sure she stopped at every intersection to look for turning cars. In the end, she had to ride on the street on Bayview Avenue (a major street) in Newmarket because of construction. Everyone gave her lots of room, so she didn't mind.

Overall, it went well for her and she said she felt very good when she got to work.

Now I just need a photograph!

Darren J 6/23/2006 12:05:00 p.m.

6 Comments:

Great job Darren's Mom!
Yes, three cheers for any new cyclist ... especially mums.
Hip, hip hip ... hoooray (x3).

Hey Darren, did you know your post on commuter hygiene made it across the pond to Velorution in London Eng.

Way to be (or, as we say in Scarberia: Waydabe ... all one word). Waydabe for you and your mum.

Healthy Guy
Excellent! I'm trying to get my mom to move because her current residence is located in one of the most bike-hostile communities I've ever seen. She gets almost zero exercise of any kind, but has expressed interest in bike commuting. Unfortunately, (she claims) there is no safe route along which to ride her bike to work. Why anyone would want to live in a place where a bike can't be ridden is beyond me.
Thanks all. I'll make sure my mom hears the cheers.

(It's pretty crazy how many people have looked at my bathing advice now! I guess I'm not the only one who's had to deal with sweat at work.)
Huzzah! Go Mo-om, go Mo-om, get busy, it's yo' birthday!

Word to the mother!
You and the Girlfriend should take your Mom for a ride on the Leslie Spit or the Island for a ride

Add a comment